The other day I went to see my GP AGAIN about a stubborn skin condition I had. I had dealt with it before but it just kept on coming back again and again. Every time it came back, it would be more than the last time.
When I saw someone about it previously, they gave me some medicine to treat it at home. It was some gnarly medicine, almost dissolved your skin in the process, but it did what it was meant to do.
Got rid of the symptoms that came up.
Fast forward 6 months though and it would come up again, even worse that the last time!
How many times has this been happening to your in our life? Where you just try and get rid of the immediate pain you're feeling at the moment. Either through;
👉Numbing (e.g. alcohol, chocolate, food, smoking),
👉Distraction (Tv, overloading yourseld with other tasks which you've ramped up the importance of, scrolling through social media mindlessly)
👉or through a "Quick Fix" of the immediate pain.
And what that eventually leads to is, the core problem growing and the symptoms getting stronger and stronger until they're too painful to numb, distract ourselves from or find a "Quick Fix" to.
It usually feels a bit like:
- Being spreading incredibly thin
- Focus all over the place
- Lack of direction
- Don't want to get out of bed in the morning
In NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) we have a saying "Find the difference that makes the difference".
So if you're feeling agitated, unfocussed and unpassionate about what you're doing it might be a sign to look a bit deeper.
Generally speaking there are 2 ways to understand the core cause of a pain you're feeling:
1) Seperate yourself from the chaos and observe from a distance what is happening objectively. People who practice meditation get extremely good at objectively being the witness of their thoughts. But even if you're not a yogi; journalling, monthly reflection systems or simply a break can work as amazing reflection tools.
But sometimes we're in it too deep to understand the core cause just from reflection. So then;
2) Consult an expert. Their ability to facilitate a reflection process for you, combined with their specialised experience and their toolkit/skills will speed up the process hugely for you.
When you understand the CORE cause, even before you do anything about it suddenly you feel incredibly clear and incredibly motivated about what you need to do.
In my life I come across so many people who have an incredible potential and a secret desire to have an impact on the world, but they're tangled in the net of treating symptoms and so are stagnant, bored, unfulfilled and unfocussed. And the thing about treating the symptoms, like my skin condition, is that it's NEVER ENDING!
In my experience there's 3 core causes of feeling like this:
1) Unclear and un-articulated vision/purpose (so focusing on the instant rewards that when you achieve it you just want more of it)
2) Self sabotaging core beliefs & habits
3) Lack of knowledge/tools to move forward
That's it. Once you identify what it is, that's half the game!
So THEN what do you do?
DEEP SEATED ACTION.
Act on the core cause and watch the symptoms dissolve. I see this happen every day in my 8 week transformation course and see the blossoms of inspiration, longevity of relationships, internal peace and the building of your legacy <3
However, be warned knowing the core cause isn't some kind of magic wand. DEEP SEATED ACTION is. One is awareness, the other is change, a transformation.
Alara believes that the path to a fulfilled life is to make a unique meaningful impact in the world. So she now helps business owners and is an NLP practitioner, a yoga teacher and a Contemporary Rites of Passage facilitator. She helps entrepreneurs align their life and business with their purpose in 8 weeks.