My dad was the first person to introduce white water rafting to Turkey. He started off running rivers by trying to join car tires together, he then ordered his first raft from China. Once he knew how to use them, he turned them into a commercial trips, which quickly gained traction. So much so that people who saw his success started copying him. Before the river was dammed, there were tens of other companies trying to offer the same service on the same river.
This happened in the other areas he worked in too. Sea kayaking, hiking, canyonning, mountain biking... There was always someone who offered a cheaper deal. However, people still kept choosing my parent's company over theirs.
I watched him become the leading outdoor specialist in Turkey. Mentor younger guides. Have clients come back requesting him especially as the guide.
I always was inspired, but I never knew exactly what it was about him.
Last time I was in Turkey I found out what his WHY was.
"To help people connect to nature so that they can have mentally and physically healthy lives without having to resort to the artificial alternatives"
So he always would make the BEST meals on his trips, provide the BEST entertainment and have meaningful connections because of his WHY. Something none of the other companies had. People believed in his WHY, so were attracted to him over the companies who lacked one.
This is what happens when a sense of WHY or purpose is lost:
- Loss of passion
- Unclear direction
- Lack of energy
- Lack of dreams
- No way of measuring success apart from money. So the sense of fulfillment wavering in direct correlation with money.
With a sense clear sense of WHY comes:
- Loyalty from customers and employees
- Longevity of your work
- A filter to see if opportunities, people, and staff are a right fit
- Natural energy, motivation and focus
- A way of measuring if you're on the right track that is separate to income: making a meaningful difference
- The more you give the more you receive. An increased impact means increased fulfillment and increased growth
With an articulated sense of WHY:
- People can continue the legacy you left, it doesn't stop when you stop
- Allows more and more people to believe in what you're doing and join the movement
Is this the kind of life that you would love to create for yourself?
Aligned with your WHY, fulfilled and making an impact?
If YES, lets have a chat where we get to the core of exactly where you're getting stuck and the steps you need to take to go forward. It is totally free and will likely be the most valuable 45 mins you will have spent time on this year.
Alara believes that the path to a fulfilled life is to make a unique meaningful impact in the world. So she now helps business owners and is an NLP practitioner, a yoga teacher and a Contemporary Rites of Passage facilitator. She helps entrepreneurs align their life and business with their purpose in 8 weeks.